Okay, this list has been around a long time but I still think it’s fun and when it re-surfaced at There’s bats in my coffee it felt like it was time to walk the walk. I know all of us, no matter where we’re from and if we belong to a subculture or not, are affected by the norms of society, mass media and pop culture. Unless you’re living in a cave without human contact that is.
I love so many things that aren’t deemed dark and spooky it’s insane, and so does probably everyone else, so I thought I’d try to dig up the most contradictory stuff I can think of and not half-ass this one. When I’ve got the time, I’m going to find as many cliches I can and make a true/false list just for giggles (and maybe some cringe).
- My Little Pony from the 80’s/early 90’s. I have the entire series of My Little Pony Tales and most of the My Little Pony ‘n Friends on dvd. And a coffee mug that says Pony Power. I also have a tiny collection of G1 Ponys from my childhood. Patch & Gusty are still my favorites.
- Mainstream tv-shows. And I’m not talking about the darker ones like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. I can’t get enough of Dead Like Me, Don’t trust the b**** in apartment 23, 2 Broke Girls, Girls, New Girl, (first half of) The Big Bang Theory, Friends, Gilmore Girls, Sex & the city, Californication, House, You’re the worst and I could go on and on. Not to speak of Jackass and Viva La Bam.
- I’m outdoorsy. Hiking, downhill skiing, riding and just being outdoors is something that I love. Adventures, sleeping under the stars, watching the sun rise and just being out in the woods or mountains is essential for me to survive in my home town and apartment. My backpack isn’t even black.
- Good Charlotte (the early albums). What can I say? It was the year of 2001 and they appeared in Not Another Teen Movie. (Maybe you remember Marilyn Manson’s version of Tainted Love from that parody?) I still adore that weird skate punk/alt rock sound up until The Chronicles of Life and Death. Of course I know all those songs by heart, and also really like the illustrations made by Billy Martin.
- Ville Valo. Okay, my biggest celebrity crush of all time is on this guy. I love everything about Ville and that includes HIM, the music, the music videos, the aesthetics and everything else. I’ve had an old poster from Kerrang! (ca 2005) up on the wall in my living room wherever I’ve moved and refused to take it down. Sadly it’s not on the wall now, but that will change as soon as I find his new place of residence. My partner in crime does not share my obsession but is totally understanding about it (and I don’t know why). My poster is from the same photo shoot as this pic:
- SSX. I love video games and especially the Snowboarding series of SSX by EA Games. SSX3 for PS2 is still one of my favorite games of all time. Allegra is my favorite character.
- Nature Photography. I’ve been into photography my entire life and since 2007 it’s been one of my biggest hobbies. But I’m not one of those cool goths who shoot wonderful decaying, scary, gore pictures or dark models. I shoot nature, full of sunlight and colors. You can find me on Youpic and DeviantArt.
- Eclectic home. I’d love to live in a Victorian mansion but I actually enjoy colors on furniture, really saturated ones combined with antiquities and my goal is to have a home with no boring corners. I own a bright yellow wing chair, as an example. My own weird wonderland.
- Animated films and family adventures. Toy Story, Over The Hedge, Land Before Time, Fox and Hound, 101 Dalmatians, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, Animals of the Farthing Wood, Lion King, Watership Down, Mio my Mio and Brothers Lionheart. There is not enough words in the world for how much I love those kinds of movies.
- Partner in crime is not goth. A metalhead and geek at heart, dressed as most other muggles and he is awesome. We sing along to In Flames and the Lion King soundtrack. I wear his old coat and we have great adventures together.